Some Q&As Involving Car Accidents

When I am involved in an accident, what is the first thing I should do to protect my interests?

Assuming that law enforcement officials have investigated the accident, the first action on your part should be to tend to your injuries and receive prompt medical attention. After that, you should contact your attorney.

Do I need to contact my insurance company?

Yes, contact your insurance company and report the accident as soon as practical. Most insurance policies contain a clause, which provides that, unless the accident is reported within a specified time, the policy of insurance will not apply.  You should not, however, contact the other party’s insurance company; your attorney will do that.

Should I call my insurance company even if the accident was not my fault?

Yes. The other party may be uninsured or underinsured, and you may have to look to your own policy in order to be adequately compensated.  Once again, the reporting provision of your policy will require reporting of the claim within a reasonable period of time (never more than thirty days) or the policy will not apply.

Should I contact an attorney or attempt to negotiate with the insurance company?

In any case involving personal injury or property damage, you should contact your attorney as soon as possible after receiving medical attention. This will allow your attorney to promptly begin investigation of your claim (a) before evidence (such as skid marks or debris on the roadway) is lost or destroyed, (b) while witnesses still have a vivid recollection of events, and (c) while photographic evidence may still be obtained to preserve the facts.  You can rest assured that the other party’s insurance company knows the value of an early investigation and will have begun investigating the claim immediately.  It is common sense for you to have the same advantage.

If the other party’s insurance company calls me, should I give them a statement?

Absolutely not! The other party’s insurance company may use what you say against you.  The person taking the statement has been trained and paid to protect their insurance company’s interest, not yours.  Even your own company may use a statement, given by you, against you at a later date, should the other party be uninsured or underinsured.

What is uninsured or underinsured motorist’s insurance coverage?

It is the provision of your policy that will protect you in the event the other party to the accident has no insurance or does not have enough insurance to fully compensate you for your loss or injury. Your own insurance company will hire an attorney to represent the other person who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance and will fight you on the claim.  There is a specific law which prevents your insurance company from increasing your insurance rate if you make a claim for uninsured or underinsured motorist compensation.  That is why you need an attorney from the beginning to protect your right to fair and adequate compensation.

If I do not have the money to pay an attorney, what should I do?

Most cases involving injury from an accident will be handled by your attorney on a “contingency fee” basis. This means that your attorney will accept the case for a percentage of the recovery and will only be paid if and when he or she obtains a settlement or judgment on your behalf.

How long does it usually take to obtain a settlement or judgment?

In cases involving minor property damage, the settlement or judgment for property damage may be obtained within a few days or weeks after contacting your attorney. The claim for personal injuries will not be settled or tried until you have recovered from your injuries or have reached maximum medical improvement in the event your injury leaves you with a permanent impairment or disability.

If I do not have insurance on my car, can I still be compensated for my injury?

Yes. If the other party was at fault in causing the accident, you can still bring a claim for compensation even if you do not have insurance.  It may not affect your driving privileges or registration if the other party was at fault and your attorney handles your case properly.

After an accident, how much time do I have to file a claim?

Generally, in Tennessee, you have one (1) year from the date of the accident to file a claim for personal injury and three (3) years to file a claim for property damage. This may vary, however, in the event of injury to a minor child (under age 18) or where the case may be against a governmental agency.  You should never delay in contacting your attorney.  Although you may have a long period of time in which to bring a claim, it is very difficult to obtain adequate compensation unless your attorney has been able to properly investigate your case from the beginning.

Am I entitled to compensation even if I am partly at fault?

Yes. The law has changed in Tennessee to allow for compensation even if you are partly at fault in causing the accident.  At one time in Tennessee, any fault on your part would have prevented compensation.  Now, as long as you are less at fault than the other party or parties, you may be entitled to compensation.

Are there other parties who may be responsible for my injuries besides the driver of the other car?

Yes. If there were some defective or unreasonably dangerous features of your auto or the other auto that caused the accident, then you may be entitled to compensation from the manufacturer of the vehicle.  This is called a products liability claim.

If my accident was work related, am I entitled to workers’ compensation as well?

Yes. You may be entitled to both workers’ compensation and to recover damages for you injuries from other parties other than your employer.  Because workers’ compensation benefits are not fault based, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation even if you are at fault.

Why should I call the Law Offices of Tony Farmer & John Dreiser if I am involved in an accident?

We have experienced trial attorneys who care about their clients and are skilled in handling personal injury cases. Our support staff provides both experience and dedication in helping our attorneys help you.  There is no charge for an initial consultation with us about your motor vehicle accident.  We will get paid only if you are able to recover for your losses.  We will tell you if we believe you don’t need a lawyer.

If you need more information about a Social Security Disability/SSI matter, personal injury matter (car wreck, boating accident, slip and fall, etc.), EEOICPA claim, long or short-term disability, VA disability, Railroad Retirement Board disability, or a workers compensation matter, please contact the Law Offices of Tony Farmer and John Dreiser for a free case evaluation.  We can be reached at (865) 584-1211 or (800) 806-4611, through Facebook, or through our website.  Our office handles claims throughout East Tennessee, including Knoxville, ChattanoogaKingsport, Bristol, Johnson City, Morristown, Maryville, Rogersville, Dandridge, Tazewell, New Tazewell, Jefferson City, Strawberry Plains, Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Loudon, Kingston, Halls, Maynardville, Crossville, Cookeville, Jamestown, Sweetwater, Lenoir City, Athens, Oak Ridge, Clinton, LaFollette, Lake City, Jacksboro, Bean Station, Cosby, Newport, White Pine, Mosheim, Wartburg, Sunbright, Pigeon Forge, Greeneville, Harriman, Dayton, Spring City, and Deer Lodge.



About farmerdreiser

Based in Knoxville, Tennessee, The Law Offices of Tony Farmer and John Dreiser provide comprehensive representation to injured victims throughout eastern Tennessee in personal injury, Social Security disability, and workers' compensation cases.
This entry was posted in Car Accidents and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s